Monday, October 4, 2010

Small World isn't only for Disney

It really is a small a world.  Yesterday I went back to "The Great Canadian".  That's the sports bar from the last post.  I wanted to watch the Ryder Cup, have a beer or two and get lunch.  I took the metro from the hotel area, Carrefour  Pleyel, to Invalides metro stop (that's for those who like to fly around Google Earth).  From there I walked for ~20 minutes to TGC.

After about an hour of watching the golf game I overheard the waitress tell a couple behind me that she was from Rochester, NY.  It took her awhile to circle back to me, but when she did I shared what I heard and that I was from Spencerport.  She shared she was from Gates (a community next to Spencerport).  I immediately asked if she knew the most famous teacher in Gates Chili, our good friend Joan.  Once I said "Health teacher" she locked right in.  We didn't get to talk too much, but I learned she graduated in 2005, her name was Ashley, she went to college in NYC and she came to Paris in March.

The point I took from this experience was to ask people (particularly English speakers) where they are from.  You never know, maybe I'll meet some of my long lost pals from Olean, Panama City, the Navy or Franklinville.  After all, it is a small world.      

1 comment:

  1. It is a small world! Our friends Dan and Amy Lowry (from Allegany and more recently Houston) just moved to Paris a few weeks before you got there. I should send you their picture - LOL. I am enjoying reading your blog Mark. Take care.

    ReplyDelete