Sunday, October 17, 2010

Saturday in Paris

My first Saturday in the new hood.  A very busy day, full of good learnings.

The day stared with a trip to Passy Plaza and Marche de Passy.  At Passy Plaza I found a wonderful supermarket, like Tops or Wegmans.  It has everything you may want.  I needed some basic cleaning stuff (Jill already warned me the apartment better be clean when she gets here).  The best thing I bought was a shopping bag.

Next stop was Marche de Passy.  This is the place I described last weekend.  I went in, a bit intimidated as my French is very basic and I lack confidence to use it.  Nonetheless I approached the veggie/fruit stand.  I quickly made friends with one of the workers.  He was given to me once I told them my French was so-so.  His co-workers said he needed to practice his English.  So we both shared a language lesson.  10 Euro worth of fresh veggies and fruits.  We agreed we would try it again next week.  My other purchases were less exciting, but I got some good stuff. Can't wait until next Saturday.

Next I had to walk to Champs Elyssee to the Orange store.  I had to pick up my cable box and wireless Internet box.  Of course it can't be connected today.  They say it takes 10 days from the time you sign the contract.  Hard to believe you can't flip a switch and the thing works.  Oh well, I'll wait the ten days.  I knew from the beginning this was a test of my patience.

On the way home I found a very cool pub.  It's called "Frog XVI".  It is on avenue de Kleber, not too far off the Trocadero circle.  It has microbrews and free Internet access.  Hence my multiple postings.  They serve a full pint (56 cl) for 7 Euro.  Better yet, Monday to Friday they have happy hour until 8 PM - 5 Euro pints!  What more could you ask for.  Oh yea, it is staffed with English people and the food is good.  It is about 10 minutes from the apartment. This could become a favorite hangout.

At the end of the day I decided to get my first French haircut.  Of course the lady didn't speak English.  My French was better then her English.  So after the initial awkward beginning, she washes my hair and starts cutting.  I think this is the first time I have had someone wash my hair since Mom used to do it when I was 4 or 5.  It cost me 24 Euro cash, no debit cards.  Of course I only had 20, so i had to run to the bank for cash.  The washing was nice, but the purple colored mohawk haircut will take some time to get used to.  I really have to learn better French.

The day ended with a nice dinner at the apartment and a call with Herb.  I really look forward to when friends and family are able to visit.  The apartment is very nice, but I think it'll be better when more people are here.

Oh yea, I was kidding about the purple hair and mohawk.  

6 comments:

  1. Purple and Mohawk = nice combo- too bad you were kidding. Might be fun for Halloween! Enjoy the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you just trying to prepare Jill for your haircut?!?!?!?!
    Love reading your blog
    Hope all is well
    Stay safe
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have found your favourite pub.. I would prefer to eat in a French cafe/restaurant .. so if I go to Paris with my husband I am not going to tell him about this place.. I know exactly where you mean, I was in Avenue de Kleber back in September .

    Oh btw I came via Keiths blog.. A Taste of Garlic..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry me again , it is staffed with English people as it has English owners , and is for Anglophones . I can think of nothing worse, than going somewhere and finding one of these pubs .. Who would want to eat British food like Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding .. Fish and chips etc etc.. sorry .. I am fed up with the people that go abroad but want British things, stay in the UK ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny Anne, sorry to disappoint you. I'm not from the U.K. (I'm American), I don't like British food, but I do like micro brewed beer. I promise not to make it a habit but I hope to run into your husband there sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooops wasn't getting at you :-) Just annoying when people go and live in different cultures and want exactly what they have left behind at home ... ok there are the odd things people will miss .. ! I think if my husband does make it to Paris he can go once , he also loves Micro brewed Beers!

    ReplyDelete