Friday, October 8, 2010

Does no really mean no?

Once again, I have experience that no doesn't really mean "no, definitely not" here in France. What I have learned there are two things the average French person appreciates -- 1) challenging authority and 2) bureaucracy. All week I was told I wouldn't be able to get the apartment on Monday because the company payment wouldn't be made on time. It's not like the company can't afford it...

When I challenged the person telling our relocation company this, I was told the person who signs the checks was in training and wouldn't get to it until the following week. Everyone was handcuffed by the "procedure". No thought to the customer. This is evident in so many ways here. You just have figure out the code. Sooooo....

I threw out the challenge flag and offered to take the document to my boss, the Sr. VP of HR, for his signature. I'm sure you guessed the results. Within 24 hours a message is sent to the agency saying all is good. I have the final acceptance walk through at 2:30 PM on Monday.

So my bags are packed. I move to a hotel only 2 blocks from the apartment tomorrow morning. My fingers are crossed, my prayers are said. If all goes well I should be in my Paris home in 3 more days.

1 comment:

  1. Howdy old Buddy !

    Are you staying at.....
    #1= Best Western Hotel Paris..on Massenet
    #2=The Massenet also on Massenet Two Blocks away
    #3=Hotel Hameau de Passey on Passey... #4= Hotel Nicolo on Rue Nicolo but thats only one block away.

    I'm learning your neiborhood ...most streets have a cam picture... like the one on your street to be...Rue Eugene Manuel. What is Retouche ? Looks like a shop of sorts...
    I like the look of the resturaunts close by....on

    ReplyDelete