Monday, October 18, 2010

A Different Way of Life

I just wanted to create an intriguing title... Seriously, when you move to another country you do it expecting some things to be different, not just language, food and currency. I have traveled internationally for the past 15 years. I always thought I had an appreciation for the host country. Now after being here for almost three full weeks I realize I am only scratching the surface of understanding. I don't think this is unique to France or Paris. When you start doing things the locals do, your eyes get opened. Riding the metro to and from work, buying a fresh baguette every other day, going to church, shopping, sitting in a cafe using the iPad - you name it, it's a different experience from the U.S. You start to see the same faces, you greet people when you meet them, they know what you're interested in.

It has been a great experience so far. It can only get better when Jill joins me. I really miss her company. We talk two times a day, but it isn't the talking that I miss. It's just sitting there reading the paper with a cup of coffee, watching a show on television, having a glass of wine, thinking about what's for dinner and most important, that kiss goodnight. Hopefully it won't be too long. My fist trip back to the U.S. is 30 days away.

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh, I just love you guys.....love that you love each other so...

    ReplyDelete