Saturday, October 23, 2010

Internet -- Stikes -- Smoking

It's been awhile since I've had the opportunity to connect to the internet to blog about my thoughts and observations.  This post will be in 3 parts so you can skip a section if you're not interested.

Internet
As part of the relocation company's service, some one from their office is assigned to assist me with the process.  Unfortunately they do not come and setup the equipment for you.

Last Saturday I walked to the Orange store to pick up my equipment.  I then had to wait for Orange (the provider, similar to RoadRunner) to establish the electronic connection.  This typically takes 7 to 10 business days and a service technician (ala Geek Squad) is scheduled to assist in the process.  When they connect you, they send a text to let you know you're good to go.  In my case the text is sent to Sophie, the internet coordinator at the relocation agency.  On Tuesday I get a note from her that my system should be activated.  Of course I can't wait to come home and start the connection.  In the U.S. it is usually a simple process of connecting a few obvious cables, plugging in your PC and accessing the website.  Here, it is much more elaborate.  I was scheduled for a service guy on Friday, but being the patient person I am, I started to do it on my own.  First issue, everything is in French.  Second, I don't follow directions very well.  Third, my laptop doesn't have a CD drive so I can't load the software.  I kid you not... for 3 straight nights I came home from work, messed with the connections, software, etc from 7PM to midnight.  I went to Le Passy where there is free internet to read all sorts of "how to" on the internet (again, all in French).  It was so frustrating.  After awhile I found myself praying for help to figure it out.  On Wednesday, I got access to the TV (yeah!).  On Thursday, I was able to see the wireless router on my laptop but I couldn't access it (dang!).  Finally on Friday I took the CD to work to put the contents on a thumbdrive.  Of course my laptop at work had a problem with the CD drive.  Fortunately our IT department was able to get it working and I put the CD contents on the thumbdrive.  Friday night... I'm so excited to get home because I'm sure I have it figured out.  There is no doubt that God had pity on me and finally granted me access to this incredible thing called the internet!  Everyone should now jump up and high five anyone near year, because that is what I wanted to do. 

Once I was connected, I went to the Frog XVI (it was happy hour with 5 Euro pints of microbrewed beer) for 2 pints of beer and a bowl of chili.  I quickly came home, called Jill and we proceeded to Skype.  I think it was the first time we saw each other for 2 weeks +.  What a glorious moment.  All the frustration and sleep deprived nights were worth it.

Strikes
Now I'm sure everyone has heard of the infamous strikes that have occurred in France the past few weeks.  The French government has submitted a bill to increase the retirement age among government workers.  It wasn't a big increase, but definitely a social change that split the nation.  I understand from Jill and the kids that the news has numerous articles and commentaries on the local union strike actions.  I have repeatedly said, other then the metro strikes that put more people on fewer trains, I have not seen any signs of the social unrest.

That is until Friday morning at work.  We were sitting in our offices when we heard someone on a bull horn and a banging drum outside.  Being on the 5th floor we all went to the window.  Looking down we saw a small parade, maybe 75-100 people with one small truck with a banner on it.  In the front was the bull horn and the drummer.  People followed as they walked around our 3 buildings.  No one was harmed or felt threatened, no property was damaged and it was over in 15 minutes.

My feeling on it all... the U.S. news likes to sensationalize these things (as do most countries looking at other countries problems) AND the rioting will be worse in Philadelphia if the Phillies win the World Series.

Smoking
No, I'm not a smoker and I've never smoked anything legal in my life.  However, I can't help but notice how many French people smoke.  Similar to the U.S. there is no smoking in public places.  But if you sit outside at a cafe, people can smoke (and they do).  Over the past 3 weeks I've conducted a non-scientific study and I've come to the conclusion that ~75% of the women and ~50% of the men smoke here.  I've seen people who can hardly wait to come out of the metro station before they light up.  What is more alarming is the number of young girls (16-25) who smoke.  I'm sure France's social medical system will face a large expense in the near future if they don't do something more drastic.

It reminds me of the early 70's (and probably well before that) when the U.S. was a heavy smoking population.  In the late 70's there was a great amount of energy put into education of young people about the hazards of smoking.  Finally in the late 80's and early 90's laws and heavy taxes were put into place to truly effect the habit.  My prediction... this could be the next wave of decisions that cause social unreast / strikes in France.

2 comments:

  1. Mark,
    Glad to hear everything is going ok. The news people here make Paris look like a war zone.Glasd to hear it isn't.
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to what your Dad said. Uncle Tom has asked me if you had posted anything on your blog. We have been concerned.... Love Aunt Bebe

    ReplyDelete