Tuesday, October 5, 2010

No Doesn't Always Mean No (in France)

It's been some time since I've had to live in a hotel for such an extended period of time.  It really can make you appreciate the space you have in a home.  I figured I'm living in a room (including the shower) that isn't much bigger then the upper back deck of our house.  Good thing I spent time on a submarine!  Now you would think I'd be dying to leave the room, but I found myself fighting for just the opposite the past two days.

When I checked in on Thursday last week they informed me I would have 5 nights in one room and then I'd have to move to another room on Tuesday night.  I would then transfer back to my room on Wednesday.  At that time I wasn't prepared to debate it.  As it got closer I realized it was truly a crazy thought and I prayed that someone at the hotel would see the silliness of this exercise.  Remember, I have 5 suitcases in my room and half of them unpacked to provide some sanity to the living arrangement.

Last night I spoke to 3 different people hoping one would have the magic key that would allow me to stay in this lovely little room.  I even said ok to the move, but please leave me there for the remaining period.  Unfortunately, no one could crack the code.  I went to bed believing I would need to pack up everything, drag it all down the hall (or worse yet, up a few floors) and re-establish my living space.  Needless to say this would take some planning and effort.  I woke early this morning, did a quick shave, brushed my hair and went down to fight the battle.  Wouldn't you know it, of the two people at the front desk, I get the person who flunked English 101.  After ~15 minutes of miscommunication, one of the guys I talk with each morning comes free to help me.  I kid you not... within 10 minutes he gives me the golden key to my little ole room.  It really made my day.  

This gave me additional insight to the French way of working - first response may be "impossible", the next "no", followed by "maybe" and then "of course".  I don't believe all are this way, but for the future I won't accept the first response as the last word.  Another important French lesson.

2 comments:

  1. He may have failed English 101, but they probably wouldn't let you even go a week in French 101. hahah Au Revoir Mon Pere

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'est bonne! Je vie l'aventure.

    ReplyDelete