Friday, November 19, 2010

Visit to Italy

This week I had the pleasure to discover Northern Italy.  This is a quick trip - left Paris for Torino on Monday very early.  I don't know why I do this to myself, but I had Kelly, my assistant, book me on the 7:30 AM flight.  In addition, I made the questionable decision to take the metro to the airport.  That means I wake at 4:30 and leave the apartment by 5:30 AM.  Who knew the trains were not running on a full schedule at that time.  I had to wait an average 7-10 minutes for each train (x3).  I thought I had it well planned and I was already committed so getting a taxi was out.  As my luck has it I arrived just in time to board the plane.  I've got to either take a later plane or quit being so cheap and take a taxi.

We spent the day in Saviagno (~30 minute) drive from the Torino airport.  I was introduced to the HR team, sat in on HR overview presentations, met with the site Managing Director, ate lunch, took a site tour and met one-on-one with a few key people.  All in all a full day, but it wasn't over.  At 5 PM we got in a car and drove to Sesto (suburb of Milano).  There we met the HR team for dinner.  On Tuesday we had the same agenda and left for Bologna to have a dinner with the Bologna HR team.

Wednesday night I went for dinner with Antonio, our business leader in Spain.  We decided to explore the old city center in Bologna.  It was extremely interesting, very historic.  We were looking at buildings that were built in the 1200's.  The city has multiple archways with old mosaics in the overhead covering the sidewalks.  The streets are cobblestone and the weather perfect.  We wandered until we got hungry, found a pizza place to enjoy a pizza and a carafe of Italian wine.  We definitely have to put Bologna on the "must visit" list!     

No comments:

Post a Comment