Wednesday, November 3, 2010

In Memory of Gram

It is under difficult circumstances I am returning to the U.S. for the first time in over a month.

On Sunday my 89 year old grandmother died unexpectedly.  As the oldest grandchild I was always very close to her.  Fortunately Jill and I visited her prior to my leaving the U.S.  It was a nice visit.  She was as feisty as ever.  Gram was special person.  As long as I've been alive she has lived alone.  For 45+ years she was always in the same house.  A small single floor, single bedroom house.  The inside was small, the water was rusty and the furnace was never to be stepped on.   But the yard and surrounding area provided lots of opportunities for adventure.  There was the weeping willow, the bank, the corn field and side yard.  The only restriction was the flowers gardens.  Gram loved her flowers.  She had beautiful roses and gladiolas.  Her garden was always producing something.  In the later years she wasn't able to maintain these and finally made the decision to move to a senior living apartment.  As nice as it was, she hated the place.  I remember when we went down to move her in.  She was not a happy camper!  

It was never about where she lived, it was how she lived.  Gram was a devout Catholic, attending mass and participating in church life in every way possible.  I remember how she went to bed to say her prayers or do a rosary.  She always shared the stories of the priest or happenings of the Parrish.  Gram was a hard worker, frugal, smart with money, loved to tease people and made the best mac n' cheese in the world.

For the past 3 or 4 years she yearned to join Jesus in Heaven.  She missed Uncle Jerry, Johnny, Aunt Stella and Uncle Ralph and many others.  I pray she is reunited with all of them.  Love you Gram and will always keep you in my thoughts and prayers.   

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. It's wonderful that you've had such a person in your life. All the good memories will always remain with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words Olga. I agree, not only will have her memory but she also is a part of who I have become.

    ReplyDelete