Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Quick Trip Home

Well as many of you have read in my previous post, I had to make an unexpected trip back to the U.S.  Ignoring the circumstances that encouraged the trip, it was great to see family and friends back home.  Unfortunately I didn't get to see everyone, but there is always Thanksgiving week.

The trip home came very fast.  Within a few hours of learning the news I had round trip tickets booked and within 24 hours I was on the plane.  To be truthful I wasn't mentally prepared to go home.  I had all sorts of activities planned out for Monday (it was a national holiday here) and the work week was going to be short.  I had full intentions of visiting my old friends in Plymouth, UK the following weekend so I was going to use the time to clean the apartment.  Well it's a good thing we don't plan life, we live it.

When Jill picked me up at the airport it felt very natural (as she has done it so many times before), but more importantly I felt like we stayed connected during the time I was here.  I won't get into the details of our reunion, but it was good to be home!  Sorry kids...

During my time home we made sure we hit all the favorite spots, CJ's for a quick drink, a steak bomber at Kroney's, dinner w/ Kyrstin and Bryan at Grandpa Sam's and then again Chilango's.  The best was lunch at the Black North Inn and a visit to the Lake House.   It was nice to go into each place and have them greet us as old friends.  On Sunday, my fly away day, we went to church and then breakfast with Bryan at Slayton Place.  Ok, I know it sounds like we ate alot, but...

As for the funeral ceremony, it was done very well.  My Aunt Ellen did an excellent job of coordinating / orchestrating the activities.  Gram looked at peace.  Many of my aunts and uncles from Dad's side of the family paid their respects.  My cousins from Mt. Jewett were there and it was so good to see them again.  Of course my mom, brothers, sisters and families were there.  All but 3 great grandchildren were there (2 were at school and 1 was in heaven waiting for her).  It was a really nice event.  The worst part of the event was I left my suit pants in Paris (this is becoming a family epidemic), so I had to wear a different pair of dress slacks.  My only regret is we didn't take enough time at Gram's apartment to go through her things and reflect / remember as a family.

Now I am back in Paris.  We have another short week, so I must use the four days off to prepare the apartment for Jill's arrival.  Next Monday I travel to Italy and return Thursday night.  On Friday I fly back to the U.S. to enjoy Thanksgiving with the family.  And then Jill comes to Paris with me.  I can't wait.  I know she will be full of different emotions, but we'll be together.

Even though I wasn't mentally prepared to go home, I really enjoyed the time with Jill, family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment