Thursday, September 23, 2010

French Dining

We had a very nice French meal the other night, but it took some doing to make it happen.  We decided on Monday that we would try a good French restaurant.  The hotel provided us a list of local places so I did a quick google search and found a 4 star place.  Jill was still quite tired, but was willing to take the 4 block walk.  Of course on the way I took a few wrong turns and made it 8 blocks, but eventually we found the place.  Of course it was closed on Monday nights!  Thank goodness our favorite Italian restaurant was on the way back to the hotel.

Since we failed our attempt on Monday, we decided this time to have the hotel help us for Tuesday.  I had one of the service desk people call for reservations at the one we missed on Monday.  He called me back to inform me this 4 star restaurant was closed for unknown reasons, but there is another very nice place not too far away.  We agreed he should make us reservations for 7:45 PM at his recommended restaurant.  Jill and I got all dressed up and took the short walk to the place.  It was a very nice, small place.  We introduced ourselves and explained we had reservations.  He looked at his list and politely informed us he had no reservation under our name.

Fortunately, I was able to use my charm and get us a table.  There was no one in the place when we arrived but within 15 minutes it was full.  We had a good bottle of wine and a nice 3 course meal.  We started with scampi stuffed ravioli (me) and shrimp salad (Jill), followed by a fish dish that I still don't know what it was and sea bass (Jill).  Of course the sea bass was not what you would expect to see in the U.S.  It looked more like a small mouth bass filet.  For desert we finished with creme brulee (me) and apple tart (Jill).  The atmosphere was charming, the servers were nice with good English skills and the food was well presented.

We really enjoyed the French dining experience, but in the 4 nights we have been here we have ate at our favorite Italian restaurant 3 times.  In case you were wondering -- the Italian food in France is very much like Italian food in the U.S.

1 comment:

  1. Funny Mark. I remember when we were there - not being too impressed with the French dining experience. I don't like my fish looking at me from the plate...and one of our favorite places to eat was Italian too! They had the BEST pizza. (that was in LeHavre, though). In Paris, I remember often getting things that I didn't expect - LOL. Mostly I remember walking around to museums and getting a baguette and a bottle of water for my lunch haha.

    ReplyDelete