Friday, June 3, 2011

Keys

As many of you know, I have decided to start running/jogging again.  Last night after a long day of work, I decided to go out for a run.  It was a beautiful evening - 65 and sunny, so I ran towards the park that Jill and I picnicked in.  It was the best run I remember in a long time, even when I stopped 6 or 7 years ago.  My legs felt fresh, no pain or heavy breathing, just a smooth striding run.

When I run I have to take my apartment keys with me, so I put them in my pocket, roll my pocket and tuck them into my shorts.  I've never had any problems with it... that is until last night.

I finished my run and started a slow walk to cool down.  I don't normally do this, but decided to get my keys out a block before home.  Reached into my pocket and there were no keys!  A calm panic overcame me, but I quickly decided to retrace my steps and look for the keys.  The whole time I'm looking I'm praying for help.  In order to get into the apartment I have to pass through 3 doors.  The first one is easy because there is a code, but the other 2 need the keys.

After looking and praying for an hour, I decided to go back home and see if someone could help me.  Bear in mind, this is my worst nightmare - locked out of my apartment in Paris and having to sleep on the street.  No keys, no wallet, no access to cash, no ID, only a business card in my pocket.

I use the code to get in the first door and gently knock on the second hoping someone would come.  Not sure what I'd do once I got in the second door, but I was taking one step at a time.  To my good fortune or God answering my prayers, Fatima came to the door.  I explained to her what happened - my English French, her Portuguese French - it took a bit and I'm sure in a movie it would be comical.

Because she wasn't sure what I was telling her, she put the two of us in elevator (which is barely big enough for one of us) and we went to the 5th floor.  She knocked on the door, the people let us in, they were English speakers and I quickly shared my plight.  There was an older couple with a guest and they just finished dinner, me in my sweaty running stuff and Fatima.  The guy looked up a number for SOS Keys, an emergency service for just these types of things, and gave the number to Fatima.  On the way out the guy said, "it's expensive."

Fatima and I went back down to the ground floor... I used the stairs.  She called the place and they said they would be there in an hour.  Ok, no problem I can wait.  So I asked Fatima how much for the service.  No kidding... She quoted €1,600 (almost $2k)!!!!

For those that know me well know that I went into mental overdrive to formulate a new plan because there is NO WAY I would pay that.  It was then I remembered I left my front window open.  It was only 10-12 feet up, if we can get a ladder I can climb through the window.  Fatima quickly grasped my plan and we started to look for a ladder.  Who has a 20 foot ladder in Paris???

Fatima, once again, came to the rescue.  She trotted across the street, went in the building and brought out a friend to explain the situation.  The guy was finishing dinner so he asked us to wait for 10 minutes.  I was willing to wait a couple of hours if he could find me a ladder.  While, long story short, he arrives, goes in our building, comes out with a 10 foot ladder and we proceed to extend it along side the front of our building.  We get it up and it's ages feet short of being comfortable, but I'm not stopping now.  I scurry up the rickety ladder to the top rung and shimmy myself the remaining 3-4 feet over the ledge and into the apartment.  

I felt like fricking Rocky at the top of the stairs, throwing my arms into the air and dancing on my toes!!!

Ok, I really didn't do that, but mentally that's what it felt like.  I got the keys, some cash and my wallet.  I thanked the guy with a 20, then ran down the street to withdraw some cash.  I came back and gave Fatima a 50.  All was right with the world.

Funny how in my nightmare the heroine became Fatima.

No comments:

Post a Comment