Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Bike Ride

Ok... when was the last time you went for a bike ride?

For me, it has to be 7-10 years.  I always liked riding bikes.  I can remember when I was younger (probably 35+ years ago), the 6th street gang (Pam, Lisa & Brian E., Patty S., Larry S., Eddie & Banger E., brother Beaver and myself - maybe some more but I can't recall) made a ride from Olean, NY to Bradford, PA.  It was a nice summer day and we had nothing but our youthful energy to pull us over the mountain and back.  Coming down the hill i remember going so fast it scared me (if i recall right, Larry was bumped by a passing car).  Can you imagine today letting a group of pre/early teens riding their bikes 20 miles to and from, unsupervised and "just for fun"?  That adventure holds a lot of it's own stories, not the point of this one.

Today I discovered a new and physically challenging way way to see Paris.  Here in the city they have a bunch of bikes available for a minimum fee.  They are strategically placed around the city so the public can use.  On Rue de Passy there is a "depot".  So I decided to try it - it is something I've wanted to do since my arrival.  After about 10 minutes of fumbling with the payment machine, I was on a bike.

The bikes are not sleek racing bikes, but have comfortable seats, 3 speeds, hand breaks (that work) and a basket.  Once I was on the bike I had flashbacks to my youth.  I rode through the various areas of Paris, the 16th, 7th, 6th, 14th and 13th.  Very enjoyable, a bit exhausting and most important liberating.  Seeing Paris on a bike could be a hidden secret that I need to explore.  I highly recommend it!

By the way... riding a bike after so many years is not hard, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment