Saturday, December 11, 2010

Paris Weather and other musings-A post from Jill

How is it that whenever I am in Paris the weather is never cooperative?  My first visit was last February and everyone said it was unseasonably cold and it  was frigid even for me who was used to walking and snowshoeing in temperatures below 20 degrees F.  So far we have had again unseasonably cold, wet weather and the other day more snow than Paris has seen in 23 years!!  Mark and I didn't realize what a problem the 2 to 3 inches of snow was causing the city until Jean called all concerned for our safety.  I guess CNN reported Paris was shut down-the airport closed as was the Eiffel Tower!  Now you all know we live a hop, skip and jump from the Eiffel Tower and we didn't realize the affect of so much snow~again 2 to 3 inches!  We had walked to the grocery store, the dry cleaners and had dinner out and were enjoying the Christmas like weather!!!  Who knew....

Yesterday the sun was shining and I ventured out for a walk.  I walked down Passy to a small park not far from the apartment.  It was quite pretty with the fresh snow and you could tell the children of Paris had a ball playing in the snow they haven't seen in 23 years-snowmen and trampled snow were everywhere.  The snow may have crippled the city but it made a small population of children very happy, including me:)!!

Anyway, I walked for about 1 1/2 hours and only had a small moment of panic when I couldn't quite place where I was.  Everyone  knows I have a poor sense of direction and I know my way around by landmarks.  Welll, we have a flower shop at the end of our street and I thought I found "our" flower shop(there are many, many flower shops in the neighborhood), but nothing looked familiar~wrong flower shop!!  I stopped, got my bearings and figured it out...baby steps!!

Just a note on apartment living....it has been 25 years since we last lived in an apartment!  We have people above us, beside us and under us.  Our building was built in the early 1900's and it is not very sound proof.  The noises you hear...I have actually heard the man upstairs peeing!!!  We hear their music and grandchildren running through the apartment and every creek and crack of old wood floors.  But I find it comforting as I don't feel so lonely...I have people all around me:)   Now I know why Mom enjoys it so much!

Oh, we went the Le Passy for a drink  the night of the "big" storm and I was able to ask for a glass of wine in French...Je voudrais un verre de vin rouge, s'il vous plait!!  The owner was very impressed!  I can imagined what you are all thinking~my first venture into speaking french in public was for a glass of wine!!  I have mentioned how good French wine is, haven't I?  And Jean, I wasn't alone so it's okay!  I am strickly adhering to the "do not drink alone" policy(ha-ha)!

More ramblings later....Ou sont les WC, s'il vous plait?

1 comment: