Saturday, April 9, 2011

Kaitlyn's Visit to Paris - a post from Kaitlyn

Well I guess I should finally blog about my trip to Paris since I have some time. Not only was it my first trip to Paris, but it was my first trip traveling alone! After a flight change the night before and an hour delay then another hour delay on the run away I got to Paris without any glitches and only 20 minutes later than our planned arrival (how that works out after being 2 hours behind beats me). As most of you know I know absolutely no French so once we got off the plane I decided just to follow the crowd since I didn’t know what the signs said, which this plan worked great until I was looking for where to get my bags and Mom and Dad see me and wave… so naturally I go to them and Dad goes, “Did you get your bag?” (a) Dad didn’t tell me before hand anything about baggage b) dumb question I obviously wasn’t rolling my suitcase and c) they waved at me so I thought that’s where I had to go, so after going back through the doors and getting my suitcase we can leave the airport.

So that first day (Friday) I was there (I got in at noonish) we went to the apartment then we walked around the neighborhood. Before dinner we went to get drinks at Le Passey and being in Paris I was old enough to drink! And the bartender made me the special of the night a blue laguna! Then we got dinner at somewhere I don’t remember…I think we did sushi the first night (?) and we went home and watched tv and I passed out and slept forever.

The second day I was there we went to the market and bought all kinds of good stuff like cheese and strawberry tarts and olives and gnocchi! Then we went home and took care of the groceries and Mom and Dad made lunch while I napped (still jet lagged) then after lunch we went shopping! My favorite thing to do :) I don’t remember what it was called (since I don’t know French) but Dad mistakenly made the rule “If you like it buy! We are not coming back” which I took full advantage of and got 3 shirts, a skirt and a dress (thanks Daddy)!

Then we went to a restaurant for drinks that was by the shopping center. For dinner we went to this actual French restaurant and I tried snails!!!! They were good too! They tasted like clams! And I had filet of beef for my entrée and chocolate mousse for dessert! It was all VERY good!


On Sunday we woke up and went to church. I liked watching the little girl that was running all around the church because she reminded me of me at that age. She got the arm grab just like I did! After church we went to lunch and got mommy flowers for the apartment. After that we went to the Louvre and that was AWESOME! Reminded me of the Da Vinci Code! Unfortunately I was still jet lagged and was very sleepy and did not fully enjoy the experience do to my sleepiness. After we walked the little park area outside of the Louvre and got drinks and I got ice-cream! Then we went home and I napped and Daddy made dinner of gnocchi in an Alfredo (Dad comment -- it was gorgonzola sauce) sauce with ham and peas and it was delicious! Then we watched Julie and Julia (well Mom and Dad did… I fell asleep).


Monday: Mom and I did some exploring and shopping (both of us got shoes!) and had lunch at Le Passey where I had sea bass and it was fantastic! We also took a walk to the Eiffel Tower and layed in the grass and sat by the river, where we made a friend from Bali of all places! She was back packing across Europe and asked me to take a picture of her and a boat. Then we went to the apartment and rested until Daddy got home from work. Once Dad was home we went to Le Passey for drinks and went to the Chinese restaurant for dinner. I tried duck that night and it was so good! After dinner we went to the top of the Eiffel Tower! That was so much fun! It twinkled while we were going up it, which I was VERY excited about!


Tuesday: Mom and I went to the Arch de Triomphe. Which to Bryan’s surprise there was an elevator that we got to use (it was closing in like an hour for lunch). At the top Mom and I took a lot of pictures and talked then we walked down the stairs. And me being a dumb dumb had a very difficult time walking down the stairs and got really dizzy because I can’t walk down stairs without looking down and had to go super slow (Mom made fun of me the WHOLE way down!). After we walked down Champs-Elysees and did so more shopping. Then we walked to the palace and down by the river back to the apartment. This day it was so hot that I wore a tank top and was still sweating! While I was hot however all the people that live in Paris were still wearing winter coats. For dinner I think we went to La Matta and I let Dad pick for me because I couldn’t decide between the spaghetti with meat sauce or pizza with an egg on top… he choose the spaghetti… it was delicious! For dessert I had this HUGE ice-cream sundae! And I walked out of the restaurant practically unable to move! WAYYYY too much food!


Wednesday: Mom and I stayed in and relaxed for the day. We got a visit from Fatima…that was interesting since I know absolutely no French and Mom only knows a little bit. What I got from it was she told me I was pretty, she liked my necklace, asked me about what I thought of Obama and told me Happy Birthday…she was there for 45 minutes and that’s all I got. Then when Dad got home we went to see Notre Dame and had dinner in the Latin District. It reminded me of a black market with all the people trying to get you to come to their restaurant. At dinner I had the BEST goat cheese salad and beef bourguignon which I was not the biggest fan of…too much like stew which is too close to soup and for dessert I had crème brulee. Then because I somehow hurt my leg we went home and did not walk around every much.
Thursday MY BIRTHDAY!: I woke up to Mom bringing me mimosas in bed and then she made me nutella on toast things and we layed in bed and watched T.V. until it was time for Dad to come home. For lunch we went to this Irish pub with a REAL Irish man as the owner! I had my first Guinness which I proudly finished! And I had AMAZING salmon! Then after we ate we moved to the pub where we talked with the owner and this crazy lady with a picture of a man exposing himself and had more drinks. Dad had some super expensive whiskey, Mom had a KillKenny beer and I had Baileys (we’re so Irish). Then after lunch we went back to the apartment and I napped. We met up with two guys that Dad works with for drinks at Le Passey before dinner and had a good time there. For dinner we went to Le Petite Tour and I had the lamb and it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO delicious! And for desert I had something that I am not even going to try to spell since I cannot pronounce it, but Gary the owner made sure there was a candle on it for me to blow out. It was a good birthday!




Friday: My last day… I don’t remember what we did... Mom and I went grocery shopping for Nutella and chocolate for me to bring back to share with my friends (who loved it!). And we went to Le Passey for lunch and I got raviolis but the appetizer size not the meal size (language barrier) and for dessert I had chocolate molten lava cake it was the best thing EVER! For dinner we went to La Matta again and I tried the egg on my pizza. It was good but I didn’t think it was anything special. Then we spent the rest of the night just packing and watching T.V. as a family.


Saturday: Dad and I left the apartment at 6 a.m. for the airport. That morning I heard words come out of my Mom’s mouth that I never thought I would ever hear! She wanted Dad to leave the iPad because she would be bored and didn’t want to use the laptop! She was very distraught about this too…it made me laugh (sorry Mom). Then at the airport I made through check-in and said good-bye to Dad and made it through security to my gate where I only had to wait about 30 minutes (compared to my 5 hours on the way there). I got home in enough time to nap, shower and pick Ryan up from the bus station!

It was a long week in Paris but it was a great way to spend spring break!

Things that happened that I don’t remember when they happen: Mom had her first crepe, I got a leather jacket, I tried foie gras and did NOT like it at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment