Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bucharest Romania for a night - posting by Mark

This is trip was 3 weeks ago and the post is long over due, but I wanted to get back in the flow...

I arrived late Tuesday evening via Air France.  It was uneventful 2.5 hour flight from Paris.  On the plane I was able to watch the movie "Social Network" with my iPad.  The only negative was the hour time difference which made my late arrival seem even later.
I took this trip about 3 weeks ago, late in posting but I want to get back in the swing of it.

When I got to my room the first thing I noticed as I opened the door was the smell of stale cigarettes smoke.  Yuk!  I went down and asked for a non-smoking room.  Unfortunately none were available, but they did offer me a complimentary beer.  That was ok by me, so I had my first Romanian beer, Ursas.  I struck a conversation with the bartenders.  I was very impressed with the friendliness of the Romanian people.  I mentioned how Dave visited Romania last year and brought home some plum brandy (which he was kind enough to share with me).  The bartender was kind enough to give me a sample of his best.  Not bad, but Dave's was better.

What I found fascinating about Romania was the number of stray dogs in the street.  They are not little dogs either.  From what I know this came with economic changes, people couldn't afford them, so they set them free.  Survival of the fittest must come into play.

From Romania I went to Istanbul and Morocco.  When I returned Bryan, Kyrstin and Jill were here.  No time to write about it, maybe next time...

We anxiously await Bryan and Kyrstin's contribution to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment