Sunday, October 9, 2011

A Visit to Paris -- Post by Jean

My trip to Paris: I had no idea really what to expect. I didn't really get a chance to think about the trip until about 2 weeks prior to going. Then.....I couldn't stop thinking about it. I practiced my French at work. I must say i think i impressed them....or was that i annoyed them. By this time i was not nervous about the flight at all. I may have used up all my nerves over the summer. The flights were great.  So I did take alot of pictures and yes i journaled every night.
So..First i want to say thanks to Jill and Mark for making this trip truely an experience i will cherish. I loved it and didn't take a minute for granted.
The first day: Really no plan- but it was amazing. I got to see the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame. You would have thought it would have been a horrible day because just as we got to the Tower it began to down pour. Hopped a boat on the Siene river. Got off at the Notre Dame stopped and had drinks on a little restaurant/bar boat until it cleared up.We had a wonderful view of Notre Dame. The thing that really stood out on this day was it was 9/11. We ended up walking through the Latin District and went to a couple bars...nice. We were at a Canadian Pub and the football games were on....couldn't get buffalo but they began to play taps for 9/11. The very, very noisey bar suddenly started to become quiet slowly until there was complete silence. The silence lasted until the announcer came back on. It brought chills.........And the no plan thing...there never was a plan and if there was a slight plan it made Mark very uneasy. The no plan thing allowed us to really experince Paris not just see it. So Mark kudos to the no plan plan.
Day 2: Me and Jill spent the day going to the market. Had lunch.. I went on a limb and ordered the American salad...i know.....pretty risky..I got to see the whole neighborhood it was great. And the grocery store..and the parks. All the nannies with the kids. Jill and Mark made dinner ...then a walk to Le Passy( Local Pub) very nice and Mark's friends (the bar tender) and well.... all the workers.They made me feel very welcome. Walked to the Eiffel Tower at night. It was lit up and sparkling.... just amazing and beyond words. We sat by the Siene river and had a drink looking at the Eiffel Tower....really.really.....couldn't believe my eyes!! 
Day 3: Went to the mueseum d'orsay. Me and Jill took a taxi. I think we took some one elses as we were in line to get into the museum and Mark called stating the taxi service wants to know where we are because they are outside the apartment waiting for us.....ooopps.Loved the museum although I realized how little i remembered about my art history. But i soaked up every detail and was thoroughly in my element.  So we walked back.I had to pee bad.....i knew we had to go towards the Eiffel tower. That is all i knew but seeing it made me realize relief was out there.......Suggestion..have a toilet some where along the Siene or do as the Parisiene"s do... just go!!!!Oh yeah i ran into a Simba puppy.He started to run the other way then i talked to him and he came running to me. It was like in slow motion.....and jumped on me and licked me..at that point i asked the gentleman walking him if i could pet him.......Me and Jill stopped at LePassy and had a drink....my feet hurt..we had too!
Day 4: Maggie arrived...I was looking out Jill's French window's and i saw this lady looking up at the windows. I was wondering what she was looking at......then realized it was Maggie. Magie was great she would do this little clap every time she saw something new....it made me smile. We went to Tracodora (sp?) sorry Jill and Mark,had lunch.Maggie saw the Eiffel Tower for the first time. (CLAP) We walked to the arc of triumph (CLAP)...amazing. The views,...see pictures. I tried to walk up the stairs so not to disappoint Bryan. Well the earth began to spin,air thickened and my only thought was i had to get out of there...why you ask. It is a narrow,winding staircase that has no windows..no nothing. I began to work my way down....I think i knocked down a couple people...and then an elevator........stairing me straight in the face..up i went!!!We walked down
Ohhhhh that famous street...all the expensive stores are on...it was a really pretty walk,went past the Grand Palace........just amazing. We had to stop and have a drink..my feet hurt....Then we met up with Mark and went to Gary's for dinner. Great way to end the night.
Day 5: DisneyLand Paris----the colors were awesome. Kids you have to go. Rides are the same but very different. The train takes you right there. Loved it...and Jill was a great sport. I think maybe,maybe even really enjoyed it...Maybe ...Had dinner at Dino's a quaint italian restaurant --the pizza was yum...but kind of an emotional night. We went and had drinks in Tracadora and at one point the Eiffel Tower disappeared....Funny story. Jill thought she ordered a water but the waiter brought her a glass of wine. I said to Jill. ".Don't worry it happened to Jesus too."...........well we thought it was funny.
Day 6: Experienced my first Crepe (CLAP)...delicious....with nutella...Had a relatively easy morning...went to the mall. i ordered a cappucina..well i thought i did...i spoke my French and put in the order. I was very proud of myself but he then asked me something.. i have no idea what so i said Qui....I am not sure what i said yes too and then this
  cup of foam arrived....with a splash of coffee on the bottom...I am sure he had no idea i was from the states! Waited for Mark and took the subway to Notre Dame...ran into a festival. Great time....had a couple drinks. Then went to an Irish Pub and listened to a musician. We thought he was great so bought his CD...well i listened to it the other day. It had to be the atmoshere..........Notre Dame is beyond amazing. I must say i teared up when i went inside.
Day 7: Went to the Louvre via train. The train goes right under the Louvre. Loved it......Loved it....The building and cielings alone are amazing......the art work what can i say. It was a dream come true. Then took a taxi to Mt. Marc--church on the hill (CLAP) oh what a view....... ate at a quaint restaurant and sat next to a couple from Scottland. And when i say next to... i am using that loosely as you pretty much sit with them..tiny,tiny places. We had a great conversation.... Oh and Mark he talks to all the taxi drivers. He ask were they are from and because he has been all over he is able to talk to them about their home land. I loved listening to them.
Day 8: Went to church...I again teared up and was extremely entertained by the children there... They play in the confessional, run around so funny and so different. The services exactly like an American service with the exception it was in French. I was able to follow along....Truely enjoyed it.Went to the outside market,stopped at a pub--my feet hurt . Had some more French beer...nice.Went to the Eiffel Tower and had a drink by the Siene River. Then went back to watch the Bills win and eat the market goodies.
Day 9: Maggie,Jill and myself were on a mission to find the Harley Davidson Store. By subway...Jill and Maggie navigated and I followed. WE found it...caught the right subway,got off at the right spot and.......it was closed...closed no........felt really bad....I think Maggie still clapped that little clap though....By this time my ankles were the size of a softball...extremely painful. Brought me to tears on a couple of occasions.throughout the trip....but i wouldn't have changed a thing....I experienced Paris ...the language,the people, the sights and the history. I saw the little things as well as the attractions. I looked at every door, every garden, every building. As i said earlier..much earlier i didn't take anything for granted. I know how lucky i was to experince a new culture...It was amazing!!If you are on the fence about going don't be.....Oh yeah and i met Fatima.....I loved her too..a little intimidating maybe but when you drop a whole can of beer on the floor and a glass table top....one might complain...Maggie(CLAP) Jill and Mark thanks......for a great experience.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment