Saturday, January 15, 2011

10 Days in Paris -- Matt's Post

So there I am sitting in Charles de Gaule airport waiting for my plane back to America and the song "I Feel Home" by OAR comes on my iPod. I think it was this moment when I realized that my first Paris excursion had ended officially (I felt like I was in a scene at the end of a movie when the sappy music starts to play when the adventure is over). And I promised my dad a blog post so I figured now was the best time to sit and reflect on one of the greatest experiences of my life.

To sum up the trip you could call it an adventure. At the outset my dad and I kept talking about my Paris "bucket list." The list contained mostly foods to try. I tried escargot, fois gras, duck, cressants, tarts, cheeses, salami, oh and a few new beers too. As you can tell it was not the healthiest of trip in terms of my eating habits, but hey I only get to go to France two times so I need to make the best of it.  I was even fortune enough to accidentally try one of the most treasured of all French foods.........beef tongue! I had almost half the dish before I realized what I was eating: the taste buds gave it away. It was tasty and very tender but I could not quite get used to the idea of French kissing a cow. If your wondering how said tongue was ordered, as I said it was an adventure. Langue du beouf was the plate of the day and mine and dads French couldn't understand the word tongue.

Other than the food, the wine, the beer and cognac there was a lot of other adventures which I took. I explored 8 museums. I got lost for two hours when the museum was five minutes from the apartment which was very exciting. And I forced myself to talk as much French as I could and I was pleasantly surprised my how much I actually remembered. I had very awkward encounter when I forgot my money when I tried to buy a baguette. Through it all it was still a ton of fun exploring thing in France and I'm very excited for my next trip when I play tour guide for Allison.

The adventures I had with dad were just as exciting and fun. We spent many a night wondering and finding great hole in the wall pubs with cheap beers most were locally brewed. We actually met local Americans in these little places, like a girl from Missouri. We also went to an Irish pub with 4 Irish guys (1 was dads work buddy) and a guy from Wales. All were lawyers except 1 and it was cool talking to them and having them buy me beers. Haha. They even like my Robin Hood thesis idea. 

One of the greatest days was the last night. We went to the famous la matta's pizzeria. Where they know me as ma fille which dad told them trying to say my son in French but ma fille means daughter. So needless to say they found it quite funny. But we had an amazing meal and at the end the guy asked when we were leaving France in French, I whipped up a French response saying dad lived there and I was visiting from USA. This is when he asked me to send them a post card from America. So I have to do that when I get back. But it was such a cool experience to be talking to a French guy in France in French and having both of us understand each other, well for the most part.

Well this was my short story of the time I spent with dad in Paris. I absolutely loved every minute I was there and loved spending time with my dad. I can't wait to go back. 

Au revoir

No comments:

Post a Comment